Applications are currently being accepted for the Robert F. Calhoun Philmont Training Center Scholarship for the summer of 2018. This scholarship will pay for one Vulcan District Scouter to attend a course at the Philmont Training Center.
Robert (Bob) Calhoun was a lifelong Scouter, a Distinguished Eagle Scout, Silver Beaver recipient, founder of Troop 93 at Oakmont Presbyterian Church, Scoutmaster for 35 years and Troop Committee Chairman until his death in 2009. An ordained Deacon and Elder, Bob actively served his church and community. Bob’s experiences at the Philmont Training Center were so meaningful that he wanted others to experience Scout training at its best. Bob’s family created the Robert F. Calhoun PTC Scholarship in his memory to encourage and enable others to benefit from the unique PTC experience.
Past recipients have used the scholarship to attend courses on Effective Roundtables, Advancement and the Philmont Leadership Challenge among others. Recipient of this year’s scholarship can choose from any of the programs offered in the 2018 Conference Catalog.
The scholarship pays for food, registration, tuition, and individual airfare, or an equivalent amount for travel by automobile, for an adult Scouter in the Vulcan District to attend training at the PTC. Recipients must meet the following qualifications:
- Be a member of the Vulcan District
- Interact positively with youth and adult members of your unit and the Vulcan District
- Actively serve Scouting and your community
- Commit to serve as a registered Scouter for at least two (2) years after attending PTC in a role that uses your PTC training.
- Live the principles of the Scout Oath and Law
- Submit a completed Unit/District Recommendation Form
- Submit a completed Candidate’s Statement
- Be selected by the selection committee
Applications can be downloaded at the Vulcan District website. Applications are due no later than March 7, 2018.
Don’t let this opportunity pass you by.