Submit Your Story
The Vulcan District and Greater Alabama Council encourages scout leaders, scribes and historians to submit stories to be published on the VulcanDistrict.com blog/news page. These stories should be about Vulcan District troop/pack activities and achievements. Story ideas may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Troop Campout
- Pack Campout
- Service Projects
- Special Awards – Eagle Scouts, William T. Hornaday Award, Heroism Awards, etc.
- High Adventure Crew trips
- Wood Badge and Powder Horn experiences
- NYLT and NAYLE experiences
We want to know what you did and we want you to add a photo or two to help tell your story.
Events in Greater Alabama Council districts, other than Vulcan, that may need a little promotion are welcome as well. These events may include:
- Advance-O-Rama’s and Merit Badge Fairs
- Training Events
- Photos, flyers and logos are encouraged to be sent with these stories.
- Make sure that details for your event are finalized before submitting your story. We need links back to your event page and a contact that will be posted with your story.
We want to post an image or flyer with every story. If one is not sent, a generic photo may be found. We do this because there is a better chance a story may be read and shared if it has a photo. Here are some guidelines for the photo you send.
- File type should be jpeg, png or tiff
- Image size should be at least 600 pixels wide. We don’t need an enormous file but we don’t want a tiny file.
- No copyrighted files. Don’t grab something off the internet. Besides the file may be too small.
- No gif files. If it’s a gif it’s probably too small.
- No images inside a word file. This just makes the word file large and most times the images are made smaller when saved.
- Zip the files to better your odds of your files making it.
- If you have a flyer that is produced in Word you can send it as is. We will convert it to a PDF before publishing.
- Do not send any Microsoft Publisher files. These cannot be read. Convert them to PDF.
- Cut and paste your story directly into the text field.
- If you would prefer to just send a word or .txt file, use the image upload to do this.
- Your story may be edited for grammar or spelling.
BOY SCOUT LAW
- Follow the Boy Scout Law when writing your story. We won’t publish any story that is divisive or just flat out mean.
PERMISSION TO POST CONTENT AND PHOTOS
I agree that VulcanDistrict.com and the Greater Alabama Council may, but are not obligated to, publish this story/article and any related images on the VulcanDistrict.com website and on or in any other media that they may deem suitable to promoted the scouting efforts of their organizations., without compensating me in any way. I represent to Vulcan District and the Greater Alabama Council that I have all rights in and to the story / article and images that are necessary to grant these publication rights to Vulcan District and the Greater Alabama Council without violating the rights of any third parties.